Undergoing any weight loss surgery can be a very stressful process if you do not have answers to your questions. Below are a list of common questions asked about gastric sleeve surgery. We hope we can help you in your journey.
What is gastric sleeve surgery?
- Gastric sleeve surgery is a procedure which involves removing half of a person’s stomach. This is done in order to make it easier for the person to become full so they do not overeat. The Ghrelin is the part which is removed and it is essentially the “hunger hormone” which is responsible for making one hungry. After someone has this procedure done, they will no longer get hungry after eating a reasonable amount of food for each meal.
What maintenance is required to ensure long term reliability of my gastric sleeve?
- One of the best things about this procedure is that no maintenance is required. There are a number of differences between the vertical sleeve gastrectomy and bariatric surgery, including no regular checkups with doctors. Those who opt for the Lap-Band however will need to check in with their doctor regularly just to make sure everything is going smoothly and to get vitamin screening as well as blood work done.
How does the gastric sleeve compare with the Lap-Band?
- With this type of procedure there is no slippage, especially compared to the Lap-Band. You also will not experience any erosion at points where the band makes contact. Another great thing about this procedure is that no adjustments are required like with the Lap-Band. This means that no fills are necessary and it is a very low-maintenance type of procedure.
How does the gastric sleeve compare with the gastric bypass?
- One of the major differences between the gastric sleeve and the gastric bypass is that with the sleeve you will not have to submit to regular checks or blood testing. You will also not be required to take certain nutritional supplements or get vitamin screening done because there will be no mal-absorption. Gastric bypass comes with a number of problems, including malnourishment which can be quite serious in some circumstances. There are also fewer side-effects with a sleeve than with a gastric bypass procedure.
If I get a gastric sleeve, will I feel hungry a lot, or will I feel like I am on a diet?
- A gastric sleeve is designed to make you less hungry, so you will experience the exact opposite. You will find that you will no longer crave food all the time.
When can I return to my daily routine after surgery?
- This varies from person to person and it also depends on how active you were previous to getting this procedure done. A vast majority of people who get a gastric sleeve put in are able to return to working at a desk job a week after the procedure. Those who are more active will need to take four weeks to heal completely before lifting weights or doing cardiovascular exercises such as running or jogging.
Whats the amount (percentage) of weight to lose? And what are the risks and ways of gaining weight on the long term if your BMI is 31??
- You will be able to expect to lose around thirty to fifty percent of the body fat you have before the procedure within six months to a year after you get it. There are very few risks involved in this type of procedure and none that are extremely serious like with a gastric bypass.
It’s been 4 months and a half since I did my gastric sleeve surgery. I lost 23 kilos., but I feel like Im not losing weight anymore. It’s been 3 weeks and I lost only 1 kilo. Can I know why?
- Actually there are quite a few people who lose around two to three kilograms per month while others lose just one. We have heard of a number of people who have reached a “plateau” after getting their gastric sleeve, unable to lose a significant amount of weight from then on. These plateaus are very common with weight loss procedures such as this and it is just the body’s metabolism adjusting to all of the changes it has been going through.
- It will be extremely important to make sure that you get all the protein your body needs to function properly. You will want to ask yourself if you are eating the recommended about of protein which ranges from about 30 to 60 gm each day. This will be important since you will want to keep your body hydrated and healthy overall.
What are the medical requirements for a gastric sleeve, and are there medical conditions that will not be allowed?
- Those who have a BMI of over 100 will most likely not qualify because it will be too dangerous to perform.
How long is the surgery for the gastric sleeve procedure?
- This procedure will last around an hour if there are no serious complications.
When I wake up from Gastric Sleeve Surgery will I have a tube in my mouth?
- A majority of people who get this procedure done do not have a tube in their mouth because it has been removed by the time they wake up. A general anesthetic will be used for this procedure, so by the time you wake you should not have any tubes in your mouth.
Is there a weight loss requirement for gastric sleeve ie 100 pounds over weight?
- In order to qualify for a gastric sleep you must have a Body Mass Index of at least 35, as this is the level which is considered to be obese. You can also be at least 100 pounds overweight. If there are certain health complications with a person who has a lower BMI, such as type 2 diabetes or heart disease, they may qualify. It is important to keep in mind that everyone is different and this procedure will act as a tool for weight loss and not an ultimate cure.
Is the gastric sleeve surgery done by keyhole?
- The gastric sleeve procedure is done laparoscropically which means that only a few small incisions are required for it to work; they are made in the abdomen and can also be done through the mouth to avoid any scarring in this area.
How can we still lose weight when we are allowed to eat everything normally?
- A lot of people wonder how they can lose weight once they are allowed to go back on a normal diet again. While everyone has something different to say on the subject of diet and weight loss, it is highly recommended that you stick to a strict calorie intake of around 1800 to 2100 each day. Although it will be different for everyone, you will want to make sure that the number of calories you take in on a daily basis is on a healthy level. Some people tend to eat seven smaller meals throughout the day while others eat three large ones with snacks in between. No matter what you will still have to make sure that you eat good healthy food so you can keep losing weight and stay healthy.
I currently have a lap band and had it for nearly 7 years it no longer works and Im really considering going for a sleeve as i am now back to my heaviest and regained all my weight. Would the sleeve be able to be done at the same time as the band being removed?
- You will be able to have the band removed and the sleeve put in its place in the same procedure. One out of four Lap Band patients end up getting a sleeve later on because it’s a better option overall.
I understand that the stomach can stretch after the procedure. How long does it take for this process to take effect and how significant is the stretching?
- It is normal for the stomach to stretch after about a year, as much as two or three ounces its original size, which is why surgeons typically staple it closed. This ensures that it will not expand and you can continue to lose weight and get as much as possible out of the procedure you paid for.